Daily Personal 5-Minute Check-In.
Your moment-by-moment choices up until now have shaped your present life. Your Moment-by-Moment Choices.pdf
Learn to become your own lifestyle trainer or coach. What do you need to be a healthy, happy camper? Learn to ask yourself: WHAT helps me stay on track? WHAT gets me off track? The more often you practice these skills, the more proficient you will become.
Learn to be your own fitness coach—use your brain and ask the right questions!
I can see what I do and I can see how to change it.
Your weight and life imbalance will be transformed by achieving a greater BALANCE in mind, body and lifestyle. It is done by YOU. The way YOU do it is to go inside yourself.
Self nurturing is asking yourself, “How do I feel? What do I need? Do I need to ask others for help? Can I meet my needs myself? Do I need some ‘quiet time’ to think things over?” I’m worth the effort it takes!
What’s the Process?
Be More Aware of Your Body and Emotions: Tune In, Take an Inner Journey
- Let go of your external life. Release all your cares and worries. Give yourself some time and space.
- Take a deep breath and go inside yourself into your inner life. Tune into your body and feelings.
Pause and ask yourself these questions:
2. Am I experiencing stress symptoms? Check out: On The Spot Stress Managers section for stress management techniques. Consider WHAT is creating a possible imbalance? Check out: Cultivating Balance in Your Life
3. If I’m not hungry, how can I fill empty feelings that are not hunger? What do I need right now?
4. Do I just need a between-meal snack?
5. Do I really want to splurge?
Look at yourself with courage, kindness, honesty and self-respect. Appreciate yourself!
- Return to your external life and take any actions suggested by your journey within.
Every Day Remember What Your Personal Action Plan Is:
- What ONE THING could you do that would have the biggest impact for your success? Perhaps, choose one of the following areas:
- Remember what you feel good about? What worked well for you? What have you learned?
Try out new foods & recipes?
Arranged your food environment (grocery shop, set up kitchen, work, food bag) to support your success?
Keep a food log & discover patterns?
What ONE thing could you do that makes it more likely you will have a healthy food plan?
- Physical Activity: Move with joy each day! Get physical with your family, use muscle power for transportation, challenge yourself. CELEBRATE every success, no matter how small! FIVE minutes of movement is 500 % better than nothing!
- See Yourself In a More Positive Way. Say “GOSH, I’M GOOD!” No matter what. Accept yourself, imperfections and all. Ask yourself, “Are my thoughts powerful and positive?”
Enlist the support of others? Take time for self nurturing & FUN!
To learn the skill of going inside for your answers—taking time during the day—perhaps a couple of times (perhaps when you go to the rest room), just to STOP your activities and reflect on how the creation of your day is going.
It’s a gift to yourself when you choose to take time to meet your needs!
Abandon Annually. Janae Carver
For me, the key skill of diverting daily, withdrawing weekly, quitting quarterly, and abandoning annually (all of my normal responsibilities, other diversions, and problems in my life) has been the most valuable skill and daily practice that I have ever cultivated. This gift of introspection gives me wisdom and discernment about life’s daily challenges and opportunities. See the Daily Check-In example below.
Use The 30-Second Stop
This technique can almost instantly bring you to awareness and help you relax. It’s a great tool for giving yourself a respite in the midst of a busy day.
Whatever you’re doing, stop completely!
Freeze frame. The mind will also stop, and you will penetrate at rocket speed to your center.
For 30 seconds just be present with whatever is happening.
Are you breathing?
How is your body?
Where are you?
In the present?
In the past?
In the future?
Watch and observe, without judgment.
Then start moving again…..
Taken from Using Emotional Intelligence At Work by Lou Stagnitto
To learn about making lasting changes in your life, visit: Change? Who, Me? How?, Horse of Habit Story, and Patterns, Patterns, Everywhere! Not a Moment’s Peace!
Daily Check-In Example
A METHOD or PATTERN for a DAILY CHECK-IN (to nurture structure and discipline). It might be done in the EVENING to see how the day went. Notice patterns, and nurture self-discipline and self-management to overcome limitations:
I followed this process in the 12-step programs. Working with another person and being accountable to them really helped me keep on track. I called them up every day and shared the UP’s and DOWN’S of my lifestyle change journey. It took about 3 – 4 months to become really skilled at this process. I learned to INTERNALIZE the skill of self-management and rigorous honesty. This is an invaluable and priceless skill to develop!
- What was your PLAN for today? How did it go?
- What kinds of stress relief (meditation or centering activity, other relaxation technique) did you do? See Ideas For Self-Nurturing or Getting to Know Your Stress and How to Management It . EXPLORE: Do You Experience Overwhelming Circumstances?
- Looking into the future (work, days off, shopping, cooking, trips, recreation, exercise commitment)–what PLANNING did you do to manage your self-care activities?
- Set up a no-fail environment: How were your meals this day (skill #6 planning and preparing delicious recipes) and What Does Bob Typically Eat In Any Given Day? How about spacing & timing (not too far apart?)? Is there food in the house? Refrigerator? At work? Did you take a food bag with you?
- Have you planned any blocks of time to prepare salads, rice, beans–the staples?
- How about creating a more active style of life, and The Power of Fun: Celebrate Enjoyable Ways To Be Active! ? Have you taken time to be more active every day? Planned for active recreation by yourself or with others?
- How has your sleep been? Irregular? Regular times, amounts?
- Have you noticed any emotional or mental symptoms of stress today? See link at bottom.
- Have you taken time for FUN? Make daily self-care ENJOYABLE and not a “have to” or obligation. It is a way of deeply honoring yourself. Delight over Celebrate the Simple Joys of Life!
- What’s your PLAN for tomorrow?
- From the mistakes or errors in trying to accomplish these new habits, what lessons can be applied towards tomorrow for better success?
- Congratulate yourself for making the effort! Good show!
I have found the key unhealthy pattern that prevents the USE of the above skill is a person’s being over busy. If you sense that this is true for you, explore:
Delve into Additional sections of this Web site:
- Therapeutic Help for the Journey
- The Use of the 12-Step Programs, Recovery Groups, and Recovery Resources
- Re-evaluation Counseling
- Home Coming: Reclaiming and Championing Your Inner Child & Healing Adverse Childhood Experiences
- When Helping You Is Hurting Me
- Coping With Caregiving: A Caregiver’s Guide & Resources
Go to see also:
- If You Would Grow
- How Are You Doing? An Assessment.
- Overcoming Your Obstacles to Healthful Eating for a self-discovery worksheet.
- If you find that you are using food to numb uncomfortable feelings, perhaps check On The Spot Stress Managers , Emotional Eating, and Healthy Reasons To Eat and Self-Destructive Reasons To Eat sections.