Holidays are Here! So Be a Lamp Unto Yourself!
Failing to plan is planning to fail! An ounce of preparing is worth a pound of fat!
Prior Planning Prevents Painful, Poor Results!
Get to know your DANGER ZONES. Where is it difficult for you to stand up for yourself and make healthful choices?
Which situations and times do social groups influence you the most? At work? During pot lucks? At your church or spiritual group? With family and friends? At the neighbors? On vacations and holidays? At restaurants? When you’re feeling overwhelmed (too many needs and requests for your time) and out of balance? What’s your challenge?
Consider that you probably have been through these situations numerous times in the past. What can you LEARN from them? HOW can you make more effective choices next time?
Take into account the mindset of holidays or special occasions:
Special occasions are filled with people, food, and emotions. Because of this, the events may be enjoyable and stressful at the same time!
Notice that the gatherings frequently center around FOOD! You’ll probably find tempting treats everywhere!
Many times you may find that overeating is encouraged, “Oh you can go off your diet, just this once!”
Because the events may involve lots of preparation (cleaning up the house, shopping, food preparation) you may not find time to go for a walk or to practice other stress reduction activities (like taking a NAP!)
Watch out for being: P-HALT? Are you too: P=Pressured, H=Hungry, A=Angry, L=Lonely, T=Tired?
You may discover that family dynamics may increase stress for you.
Get to KNOW yourself as you develop wisdom. Pay attention to your choices as you notice a lifetime of holiday habits automatically play out. Prepare yourself to be successful on special occasions by exploring the following sections:
- How to Manage Special Occasions, Holidays, Travel, and Vacations
- Discover Creative Holiday Garnishing FUN: Make a Sandwich Birthday Cake and More!
- Celebrate Healthful Eating!
- Bob’s Story: How I Discovered New Foods!
- Horse of Habit Story
- Healthy Reasons To Eat and Self-Destructive Reasons To Eat
- Overwhelmed? Too Many Empty Calories?
- Overcoming Your Obstacles to Healthful Eating
- Which Puzzle Pieces Contribute to Your Overweight?
- Sorting Out Your Thoughts: The Value of Different Kinds of Journals
- Explore Record Keeping Using Various Styles of Diaries
- How Are You Doing? An Assessment.
- Do You Experience Overwhelming Circumstances and Can’t Lose Weight?
- Invest In Yourself: Invent A New Life!
Remember, progress not perfection! Easy does it, but DO it!
Think Light for the Holidays! Christmas Relish Tree!