Do your habitual thoughts lead you to feeling calm, centered, happy…OR
…distressed and anxious?
Just like with food habits….you BECOME what you think, what you eat, and what you do….
your moment by moment choices shape your world.
ASK yourself: What mind am I contemplating?
1. The “I, me, and mine” mind: This is a mind that is always planning, fearful, and obsessed? Maybe anxious? Always concerned with outcomes? Trying to control all things in your life? How do you feel when you are lost in all of those type of thoughts?
2. “Concern for your family and the whole-world” mind: This is a more expansive and broader contemplation, but consider what happens to your mind and emotions when you are watching too much news and seeing directly the distress of the world. Perhaps your thinking about your family and friends with a caring and open heart? Where does seeing too much suffering, problems, and individual distress lead you? Do you end of feeling discouraged, feeling hopeless, sad, or wanting to run away from it all?
3. OR, “focus on a VAST” mind: the mind of the still forest or whole Universe: connected, present in the here and now, concentrated, celebrating life! Aware of senses: seeing, hearing, tasting, smelling, and touching. Practice how to cultivate that vast mind:
- Be aware of the 4 elements in everything: earth, air, fire, and water parts of all life.
- Let go of the thinking/planning mind whenever possible–come to silence–focus on the great VAST mind–just like the sky with stars in it or clouds in it (all floating by)–all levels of manifestations on earth–constantly arising and instantly manifesting…and then…instantly disappearing.
- All in the VAST space of awareness (my mind)…everything arises in it…and disappears…
- Allow all to arise and pass away–without preferences
- Don’t “judge or label” what happens….allow it to be just as it is in this moment.
- The VAST Universe, world or planet is ONE continually pulsating, alive organism–all with mysterious intelligence that guides it and brings it to harmony. My apparent “life” is intimately and completely connected with the whole world and Universe–it is NOT separate from it.
- Allow myself to experience the awe, wonder, and mystery regularly…contemplate it and rejoice!!
- Accept all as the perfect teacher for what I need at this moment.
- The mind thinks and believes that if it can just “think more” it can figure everything out and bring all things to peace–that is NOT true! Just the opposite happens!
- Allow the present moment–what ever arises in it. Don’t fight against it. Completely accept it…and see what happens for you.
- Emotional—Spiritual Tune-up
- Relax, Observe, and Allow
- Compassion Fatigue
- Transform the Self-punishing Inner Voice
Considering all of these thoughts can benefit the entire world!